[Prism54-users] SMC2802W working

Karl-Heinz Herrmann kh1dump@khherrmann.de
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 14:11:13 +0100

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 16:48:29 +0000
James Hosken <james@jamesho.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm using debian testing and followed most of the Fedora howto.
> But the how to doesn't tell you how to make the
> wireless interface come up automatically when the machine is booted.

> Is there any way that all of this can be automatically on boot?

Well -- I run SuSE and hacked /etc/hotplug/net.agent which is called at
insertion. This does the static ifconfig to the right ipnetmask and set
essid and WEP keys. I didn't want to figure out exactly how this
(SuSE specific?) call-functions work -- I just put the actual commands,
make sure not to "exec" them as the script seems to stop at that line
and exit after the first new command.

This is un ugly hack -- but the network is up and running 2 s after card
insertion which makes me happy :-)

Check the hotplug output to syslog (or wherever it end up at your
system) what scripts are run. Mine runs the pci.agent and the net.agent.

K.-H.