[Prism54-users] Knoppix 3.7 and SMC2835W V2

Pavel Epifanov pavel7 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 8 22:09:36 UTC 2004

All,

Let me share a success story.

What I did:

= attempted to upgrade kernel 2.4.24 to 2.6.*
I'm on Debian Woody. So some new packages had to be installed. It took me
couple of day because most of them should to be re-compiled for this stable
distribution.

= SMC2835W V2 with prism54 driver v 1.0.2 STOPPED working for 2.4.* kernels
Messages about timeouts after firmware loaded and reset triggered

= spent every evening for almost 2 weeks trying get a solution
Nothing helped. I decided that my card got broken. And another Prism2 Wifi
card worked well.

= Downloaded Knoppix 3.7 PCWelt edition from ED2K P2P network
And my  card worked just fine (!) when booting from CDROM with kernel 2.6.7
and prism54 driver 1.2 and firmware 1.0.4.3. So far I could not find a
difference between my Debian installation and Knoppix 3.7 which is also
Debian based. Even copying some packages does not help. Magic again or just
too complex for me?

Lessons to learn:
1) Make a backup right before you start playing. I have one but about 6
month old.
2) When Prism54 is working, do not touch anything. It is very sensitive to
any package one could imagine. Don't think you could easily revert changes
(as I thought wrongly).
3) When you decide that hardware does not work anymore - try latest version
of Knoppix. The one I've tested contains many recent drivers for WiFi cards
including some utilities like wavemon or kismet. Youself you could spend
hours to get the similar packages compiled on old stable Linux distribution.

Pavel.