[Prism54-users] second pridm54 card

Ignacius Szabó Ignacius at szabo.nl
Fri Aug 27 09:16:49 UTC 2004

kernel version 2.6.4 ( tried several )
system 256MB mem, 1200 Mhz duron ( tried  other systems too )
driver prism54 1.2 ( also tried 1.1 and 1.0 )
model XG900/DW54G ( reported by the driver.) it is an ovislink 5400pci.

First of all I am playing with networks for about several years, I know
how to configure a network, firewall, bridge whatever. I also installed
several wifi networks, with good results, everything under linux.

Here comes the problem:
I installed 2 wifi nics in one system, one needs to operate as an ap and
the second needs to operate as a managed card.
The ap part goes allright.
The managed card sees the external ap and after a while it inits the ext.
ap. I  am using channel 1 and 10 ( tried also others ).
When I mannualy adresses the ip number, and I try to ping over the ap card
it works like dream, but when I try the same thing with the managed card
the ping software doesn't get an answer. I used tcpdump to see what is
going on with the traffic.

The packets sent from the external access point to the managed card,
according to tcpdump the managed card is even returning his hardware
adress.

The packet sent from the managed card to the external ap are also received
according to tcpdump and also an arp reply is given.

BUT, the ping program itself never gets the reply ????? or any other form
of tcp/ip traffic is not recieved by the software.
All firewalls are shuttoff, if I use a wired card instead of the managed
card with the same network settings it runs perfectly then.
Even better, if I put them both in master mode, then tcpip traffic will
run without problems with both cards.
I swapped the cards in the software but the problem travels with the
managed card.

I hope somebody can give me a hint I am out of ideas right now.

Ignácius Szabó