[Prism54-users] prism54: request_firmware() failed for ‘isl3890

Kyle Rose krose+prism54 at krose.org
Wed Aug 4 12:41:33 UTC 2004

Thomas Hager <duke at sigsegv.at> writes:

> i faced the same problem with a netgear wg511 yesterday. after some
> checking i discovered that i forgot to activate "pci hotplug support"
> for my running kernel.

It is unfortunate that I have to activate PCI hotplug support in order
to get the wg511 working: I specifically turn it off on my systems
because I'm sick of hotplug loading kernel modules for devices I want
inactive.  I know about the "install foo /bin/true" trick, but that's
ugly: if I want to load the module manually, I shouldn't have to
specify the dependencies manually, as I'd have to do were I to use
--ignore-install.

So, just slightly off-topic. :)

Cheers,
Kyle