[Prism54-users] Got prism54 modules loaded, but no devices

Tim Dijkstra newsuser@famdijkstra.org
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:00:06 +0100

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 18:33:03 -0500
David Topper <topper@virginia.edu> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> So I've got the prism54 modules loaded with 2.6.0-test9.  But I can't
> seem to set up an interface.  I've disabled my eth0 (regular ethernet)
>
> but loading the prism54 module doesn't give me a new one.
>
> How do I get a wireless "device?"

I think that loading the driver should associate a device (eg eth2)
with you're wireless-card. You can see if it did by typing 'iwconfig'
the device that has wireless extensions obviously is you're wireless
card. Then you'll have to bring it up with ifconfig, with (for example)

ifconfig eth2 192.168.0.3 up

Now you'll have set up some routes for it and maybe edit
/etc/resolv.conf. Note that most distributions have scripts to do
all this for you, mine (debian) has ifupdown.

grts Tim