[Prism54-users] What could cause the this card not to respond?

Ronald ronaldvandermeer@wanadoo.nl
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 23:11:20 +0000

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get the build-in miniPCI wireless device in my Medion
MD40100 laptop to work.

I tried several snapshot kernelpatches on the 2.4.23-pre9 kernel, all
with the same result, dmesg shows:

Loaded prism54 driver, version 1.0.2.2
eth1: resetting device...
eth1: uploading firmware...
eth1: firmware upload & reset successful!

and later on..

eth1: prism54_mib_init()
TRAP: oid 0xff020003, device 3, flags 0x0 length 4
eth1: done with prism54_mib_init()!

iwconfig shows:

eth1      PRISM Duette  Mode:Auto  Frequency:5.2GHz
          Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00  Bit Rate:0kb/s
Sensitivity=20/0
          Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:2347 B   Fragment thr:2346 B
          Encryption key:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:216

I can do the following with no errors and no extra dmesg output:
iwconfig eth1 channel 6
iwconfig eth1 essid myap
iwconfig eth1 mode managed

But the output of iwconfig won't change.

lcpci -vvv -n shows  the following :

03:06.0 Class 0280: 1260:3890 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: 17cf:0014
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-

I noticed the power management capabilities. Could it be that this
device doesn't repond bacause it is in some sort of powersafe state by
default? This behavior would make sense in environments that require
little battery-power consumption, like in laptops.

This laptop also has a wireless button and led, which are very simular
to the buttons and leds found on some Acer laptops. In windows pushing
this button turns on wireless and the led will turn on. Could this
somehow be related to my problems?

Needless to say I stuck here, so any suggestion are welcome.

I'm also interested in other stories of experiences with simular miniPCI
devices in laptops.

Ronald