[Prism54-users] Prism GT 802.11g Driver Question

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof@ruslug.rutgers.edu
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 17:26:34 -0500 (EST)

Bruce,

Those files give us as much information as possible in order to allow us
to write a GPL driver, without having access to the firmware source. We
need them for the driver in order to interact with the firmware. The cards
*require* a firmware file. Notice also that the firmware is definitely not
GPL'd as well. The license on the firmware is still pending, but should we
get one soon it may look like the ones provided by the manufacturers that
provide Winblows drivers like D-Link, 3com, etc.

We wouldn't need the two include files if we had an open firmware.
Unfortunately, chances of us writing our own firmware without violating
any laws, or before the technology gets old and deprecated seems slim
(unless some of you know better).

We will most likley (almost confirmed) get those two include files GPL'd.
We're just waiting for Globalspanvirata's lawyers to finally do their job.
We're pushing to get the firmware GPL'd as well but that is a tough one ;)

It's a compromise I'm currently willing to deal with.

	Luis