[Prism54-users] SMC2802W hangups

Ruben ryu@gpul.org
Mon, 03 Nov 2003 02:02:08 +0100

Hello,

First of all, thanks for the linux driver that you are developing.

Now my configuration: I've tested with the 2.4.22 patch and now I'm
testing the 2.4.23-pre9 patch of today (Nov 02), and the problem exists
on both kernels/patches with latest firmware (1.0.4.3).

The system runs a Debian testing in an athlon XP with VIA KT133
motherboard. This SMC card uses prism duette chipset as reported by
iwconfig. And I'm trying to use the card in managed mode with an SMC
AP/Router.

The problem is that, although the driver loads correctly and starts
working perfectly (I'm sending this email through my SMC card), the card
hangs after some time of usage (a mean of twice a day). When the card
hangs, iwconfig doesn't work, it gets stopped before writing eth0 (the
wireless link) information. Of course pings never return, and reloading
the module doesn't work. Even a hardware reboot of the system doesn't
work. I must power off and power on again to get the card working on
linux.

If I perform iwconfig when the card is hanged, dmesg has a *lot* of
messages about a queue being empty, messages like this one:

Nov  3 00:35:28 localhost kernel: islpci_mgt_response(): queue empty,
retrying (jiffies left = 100

And with the 2.4.23-pre9 patch, the hangups are more frequent, once an
hour in mean. I'm now trying the previous firmware (1.0.3.0) and it's
still not hanged, I will send news if the card is stable with this older
firmware...

Any ideas of why the card could be hanging with the latest firmware?

Regards.