[Prism54-users] SuSE 9.0 Install

Adam Rhodes me@adamrhodes.co.uk
Sun, 02 Nov 2003 16:14:41 +0000

Hi,

I'm attempting to get this going on SuSE 9.0, with a 3Com Officeconnect
802.11g PCMCIA card. I have previously used an older version of this
driver on SuSE 8.2 without problems for the last few months (many thanks!).

It looks like things have changed somewhat now, I'm trying to follow the
new system. I have succesfully got a 2.4.23-pre9 kernel running and have
compiled with the options specified in the readme, specifically:
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL: Y
CONFIG_FW_LOADER: Y
and Intersil Prism GT/Duette/Indigo PCI/PCMCIA I selected Yes.

I have also downloaded the firmware to /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware and
have wireless-tools installed.

After rebooting and inserting the card, I get the following in
/var/log/messages :
Nov  2 16:09:00 linux kernel: cs: cb_alloc(bus 3): vendor 0x10b7, device
0x6001
Nov  2 16:09:00 linux kernel: PCI: Enabling device 03:00.0 (0000 -> 0002)
Nov  2 16:09:00 linux cardmgr[1786]: socket 0: CardBus hotplug device
Nov  2 16:09:01 linux /etc/hotplug/pci.agent[2881]: ... no modules for
PCI slot 03:00.0

Presumably I should be getting something successfull there as I did
before on 8.2 :) The only thing I've noticed that is different than the
readme is that when I call /sbin/hotplug I get no output, rather than a
list of arguments (I have no idea if this has anything to do with anything).

If anyone could offer any advice, or the location of a detailed guide
for installing (I'm sure there used to be one?) I would be extremely
grateful. Wireless on linux has been perfect for me the last few months,
I hope I can get it going again! :) I'm also slightly confused as to
what the next step after this is, I seem to remember using a utility
called setoid last time?

Many thanks,
Adam Rhodes