[Prism54-users] can't connect to access point

gipmanr@mtn.co.ug gipmanr@mtn.co.ug
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 12:58:06 +0300

Mark, Do you get an ip address or do you have to give it one?

Often wifi isp's are only giving out an ip address if they know the mac
address of your card. If this is the case then u need to sniff for =
packets
containing their ip address range and try to use a free one in that =
range.

Beware, many isp's use hack sniffers to protect that from happening. Or =
you
might get bombarded with packets from them.

That's how it's done in Rural Africa Uganda.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Baily [mailto:mbaily@iii.rmit.edu.au]=20
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 1:10 AM
To: prism54-users@prism54.org
Subject: [Prism54-users] can't connect to access point

2.4.23 kernel on a Mandrake 9.2 system with netgear wg511 pcmcia =
wireless
laptop card and using a netgear 802.11g access point.

prism54 driver works, can scan and get the name of my access point =
"NETGEAR".
Therefore wireless communication is working!

[root@mblaptop mbaily]# iwlist eth1 scan
Warning: Driver for device eth1 has been compiled with version 16 of =
Wireless
Extension, while this program is using version 15. Some things may be
broken...

eth1      Scan completed :
          Cell 01 - Address: 00:02:A5:2E:03:69
                    ESSID:"WaveLAN Network"
                    Mode:Master
                    Encryption key:off
                    Frequency:2.457GHz
                    Quality:168/32  Signal level:-85 dBm  Noise =
level:-253
dBm
          Cell 02 - Address: 00:09:5B:67:7E:CF
                    ESSID:"NETGEAR"
                    Mode:Master
                    Encryption key:off
                    Frequency:2.462GHz
                    Quality:195/32  Signal level:-58 dBm  Noise =
level:-253
dBm

But can't connect to the access point.

[root@mblaptop mbaily]# iwconfig eth1 mode managed essid "NETGEAR"
[root@mblaptop mbaily]# iwconfig eth1
Warning: Driver for device eth1 has been compiled with version 16 of =
Wireless
Extension, while this program is using version 15. Some things may be
broken...

eth1      Netgear WG511  Mode:Managed  Channel:10
          Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00  Bit Rate:0kb/s
Sensitivity=3D20/20971716
          Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:2347 B   Fragment thr:2346 B
          Encryption key:off
          Link Quality:144  Signal level:0  Noise level:13

No matter what I do it seems to keep giving 00:00.. for the access =
point. I
am not using WEP.

I have noticed that the channel reported by iwconfig changes when the =
green
light flashes. It seems to go through all the channels scanning every =
5-10
seconds. The yellow light enver flashes (that's data packets I think).

It is working under windows fine.