[Prism54-users] Debian install!

Tim Dijkstra newsuser@famdijkstra.org
Fri, 5 Dec 2003 18:01:54 +0100

On Fri,  5 Dec 2003 11:13:38 +0000
James Hosken <james@jamesho.co.uk> wrote:

> Quoting Tim Dijkstra <newsuser@famdijkstra.org>:
>
> > On Thu,  4 Dec 2003 21:20:03 +0000
> > James Hosken <james@jamesho.co.uk> wrote:
> >

> > > Where is the best place to get the kernel-source from?
> >
> > The newest are always at www.kernel.org. But I think usually you can
> > also 'apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.X', they're probably already
> > patched to fit nicely in debian.
>
> That's cool, but where does the source get put?

I think in /usr/src. You can find out these things with
dpkg --listfiles <packagename>

There's a bug in 2.4 kernels which was used to compromise debian
servers, the bug was fixed in 2.4.23. Because of these problems you
can't apt-get the latest 2.4 kernel-source yet. If you're system isn't
on the internet 24/7 and you don't have any cracker-users, it
probably can't hurt to wait a short while. But you can always get the
latest from kernel.org.

> > He gave only the debian specific stuff, you still need to apply the
> > patch to the kenel source (before you do make-kpkg), copy the
> > firmware to the right place, etc (as you can read in the README.)
>
> Ok, so I need to apt-get the kernel-source, but how do I patch it?
> Have already sorted the firmware. That was nice and easy. :-)

Did you read the README? You really should ...
http://www.prism54.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/prism54-ng/README?rev=HEAD

cd /usr/src/kernel-source-XXX
bzip -cd /path/to/patch-2.x-prism54.patch.bz2 | patch -p1

grts Tim