[Prism54-devel] New FreeMAC snapshot

Jean-Baptiste Note jean-baptiste.note at wanadoo.fr
Tue Sep 27 11:53:08 UTC 2005

Hi,

Too bad we don't get to see all the thread :/

> You overestimate cleverness of ld.
> # gcc -Os t.c; size a.out
>    text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
>     736     252       4     992     3e0 a.out
> # gcc -Os -DTEST t.c; size a.out
>    text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
>     728     252       4     984     3d8 a.out

It seems gcc/ld at least on darwin has an option -dead_strip. Here (x86
debian) gcc-as-linker accepts the option. I have not tested whether it
actually worked with your example, may do this tonight.

Have a look at "Dead strip your code" here :

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Performance/Conceptual/CodeFootprint/Articles/CompilerOptions.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20001861-102307

JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Note