[Prism54-users] Re: [Prism54-devel] Prism54 development update

Feyd feyd at seznam.cz
Thu Sep 15 07:06:05 UTC 2005

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 19:39:53 +0200 (CEST)
Rainer Weikusat <rainer.weikusat at sncag.com> wrote:

> In Germany (and at least in the US, too) you may own a radio that can
> be tuned to arbitrary frequencies, but you are legally forbidden of
> ever using it.

Is then the limitation imposed by the driver sufficient? The device
itself can still be tuned.

> > Unless you can offload expensive operations like encryption, the
> > difference will be close to zero.
>
> First, you are using the verb 'offload' in the wrong way --
> non-crippled hardware usually implements its functionality while
> crippled hardware offloads this to the host CPU (which is supposedly
> owned by some idiot running Windows who doesn't deserve all those
> cycles, anyway).

Not true. The verb doesn't specify particular "from" and "where".

> Second, the only meaninful information the phrase
> 'the number is close to zero' conveys is that this number is larger
> than zero and that you can imagine another number that is large than
> the first one, which you (supposedly) would not describe with 'close
> to zero' anymore. So what precise numbers are we talking about?

Again, not true. The meaningful information that you apparently missed
is that the overhead of maintaining the 802.11 stack is negligible,
tens of packets per second while data transfers generate thousands.

Feyd