[Prism54-devel] Re: Prism54 development update

Feyd feyd at seznam.cz
Sun Sep 11 16:04:04 UTC 2005

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 14:32:39 +0200
Jean-Baptiste Note <jean-baptiste.note at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> First, separate loading seems a good thing to me (after all, the
> firmware code is dead once loaded, so it makes sense to use the firmware

But it is cumbersome. Fw bundled in the driver allows smooth operation,
doesn't require a working userspace and allows things like nfsroot.
I would be completely happy with GPL fw if Sebastien doesn't want
to make it BSD, as I'm using Linux, but I bet BSD users will
eventualy want the fw included in the driver too.

> Second, Conexant has been far from collaborative. I don't want the
> remote possibility of them taking advantage of the weeks i spend reading
> their asm where they could provide me with

I don't want to underestimate your work, but I don't think Conexant would
benefit directly from the documetation and code (they produce the chip, so
they likely know it throughout), the benefit for them will be in increased
sales if it chip becomes popular amongst users.

Feyd