[Prism54-users] Re: [Prism54-devel] Prism54 development update

Jean-Baptiste Note jean-baptiste.note at m4x.org
Sun Sep 11 13:09:54 UTC 2005

Hi Feyd,

> > Yes - don't waste this 30MHz ARM946E that every ISL38xx embeds.
> > Moreover, now that GCC can compile a firmware, it won't be more complicated to
> > implement something in firmware than it is in the host, as far as no
> > proprietary hardware acceleration is involved (ie. RC4/AES).
>
> The ieee80211 stack in host will receive much more testing, I would prefer
> a very simple and robust firmware. It should be no problem to develop both,
> as the simple would likely be a subset of the featurefull.

We could even do more (and i'd like this to show in the code -- stay
tuned !). From what i can see, there's no reason at all to even run code
on the ARM. ei, it is certainly possible to control the whole radio
thing entirely from the host !
(at least on the PCI version and PCI + net2280, maybe not on 3887, at
least there we don't know how to do this).

This is certainly the case for the DMA engine, which we can fully
control from the host, and for the GPIO interface.

This may not be the right thing to do in the long term, but at least for
initial development, this allows us to do reverse-engeneering with only
userland code run from the host.

JB