[Prism54-devel] Re: Ultra stripped down driver at http://195.66.192.167/linux/isl/isl-20051005.tar.bz2

Jean-Baptiste Note jean-baptiste.note at wanadoo.fr
Wed Oct 5 12:51:30 UTC 2005

Hi Denis,

I'm not really seeing this as a friendly move on your part.
You could have been a bit more tactfull by informing me of this fork a
little beforehand.
Anyways.

> However, I found prism54usb a bit too big for
> my purposes. For one, I think we should not
> waste time trying to implement "mgmt" stuff
> present in official firmware. Too damn complicated
> to do in fw. But large part of prism54usb
> is dealing exactly with that stuff.

What do you mean ? this mgmt stuff is not done in firmware, it's
precisely done in the driver. Large part ? -- the mgmt readback is a
small fraction of the code, albeit there's an admittedly big function
doing it.

I tend to think that you're only trying to find an excuse for this, and
let me tell you, it's a bad one.

> I took prism54usb apart and put together a mini driver.
> At the moment it supports only PCI, but all required
> build machinery and hardware abstraction is in place
> for USB to be added.

Removing all copyright references in the process, either from me or from
the prism54 project which the code was based on. Thanks.

> Please give me your review.

Done.

If you think DMA will bring you to the point of a working network
device, you're mistaken -- there's still a *big* chunk to be done.

JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Note
+33 (0)6 83 03 42 38