[Prism54-devel] Firmware built-in debugger ?

Jean-Baptiste Note jean-baptiste.note at wanadoo.fr
Thu May 5 08:42:01 UTC 2005

Hi David,

David Murrell <david at murrell.co.nz> said :

> I think the compression is something called "HIFN LZS"
> When trying to do some pci sniffing for JB using the XH8196 driver, I
> noticed this in /var/log/messages:

Thanks, I guess it means you're insmoding the driver allright !

> May  3 12:16:18 carbon kernel: compress_init: HIFN LZS, history c 12496
> bytes, d 4168 bytes
>
> Which would fit, particularly if d = dictionary, and history = past data
> ( c= cache?)

>From what you say it seems certain that the driver has support for LZS
compression. From the links you gave, LZS is used when communicating
accross wireless links; so it makes sense for the driver to have support
for it.

But the question of the compression scheme for the firmware seems
separate to me. The firmware is sent to the device "as is" (is it
"self-extracting"); so the compression scheme we're looking for must be
embedded in the device.

On the contrary, i'd think that the softmac initializing its own LZS
state (which means LZS is certainly not offloaded, so not embedded in
the device firmware) would indicate that it is *not* the compression
algorithm used to compress the firmware.

Hum. Was that clear ? :)

> Of note, the XH8196 builds on Debian stable, not Debian unstable, I
> think its got something to do with the different versions of ld on the
> two systems (as gcc is the same version)

Okay ! So i'm completely relying on you for this advanced PCI snooping.

JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Note
+33 (0)6 83 03 42 38