[Prism54-devel] SMC2802 report

Jean-Baptiste Note jean-baptiste.note at wanadoo.fr
Mon Mar 28 10:46:00 UTC 2005

Hello Joerg,

Joerg Dorchain <joerg at dorchain.net> said :
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 10:23:34AM +0100, Joerg Dorchain wrote:
>>
>> I am currently trying to compile a 2.6.9, which is my last know working
>> version.
>
> I finally got around trying 2.6.8 up to 2.6.11.
>
> Sorry to say that none of them works. I have no idea why it worked and
> why it doesn't do now. The symptoms are still eth2: timeout waiting for
> mgmt response
> Is there anything I can try?

You're the second one to report "formerly working cards now not working
any more after using some recent driver" (i cannot remember who the
other one was... is he listening ?).

Can you try to "reset" the card to a working state by putting it into a
windows machine / using ndiswrapper, and then try again your last
working version (2.6.9) ?

I have this kind of problems in USB, that is, the device going askew (no
mgmt response), needing a reset with an "official" driver, then working
again like a charm. I wouldn't be surprised if the problem were the
same. In usb, at first glance, what they do in case of a mgmt timeout is
re-initialize the card.

If it turns out that the problem is the same, I can provide detailed USB
data to look at and make sense of in this case; this knowledge should
easily be transferrable to the PCI driver.

This would also mean that the card has some kind of internal state
maintained...

Happy Easter, then !

--
Jean-Baptiste Note