[Prism54-devel] FreeBSD advances

Jean-Baptiste Note jean-baptiste.note at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jan 24 14:20:26 UTC 2005

Hello Feyd, Sebastien, dear list,

Feyd <feyd at seznam.cz> said :
> The device also uses frame templates for transmit (few frames from an older
> log that seem to be such are attached (I don't have the time to match them
> with the ethereal log to filter out possible false ones ATM)).
>
> To find out how to control the device, active experiments are necessary.
> As doing that in kernel is big PITA, and the userspace libusb is not much
> better, I have been thinking about a cleaner usb interface, but now when
> Sebastien started the FreeBSD port, the libusb based framework would be
> better, as it is available on both systems.

I also have set up an iwpriv command + emacs (available in
prism54-project) file to do active experimentation. What i miss is a
good frame dumping program on linux (anyone knows of a good, simple one
?) that would show me all 802.11 frames (including management) on a
given channel, to see if, and what, i emit. Isn't ethereal only dumping
802.3 frames ?

Secondly, i assumed the frame you show in the email below were complete
802.11 frames, but never checked. I will decode them according to the
standard, but you seem to indicate that they are only "template" frames,
with some parameters left for the device to fill in ?

Third, i don't understand the descrepency between your first two "probe
request" frames, at offset :

00000040: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 ............ at ...

00000040: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 80 9C 8E 40 00 00 00 ............ at ...

This problem shows in every log that i have : some stange numbers are
sometimes set [@0x49- at 0x4b], sometimes they're zeroed. They are in fact
the three lower bytes of the AP usually (has this some sense in the
802.11 terminology ? a bss number ?).

It sucks, because i can't seem to understance when they are needed and
when they're not... In short, what they really mean ! Any idea ? (i'll
see if the 802.11 layer has information available for this ; for
instance it could only be set when we target a specific bss).

JB

Luis, i've received your mail about svn. In the current state of
affairs, i cannot properly chunk out the progressive patches needed to
put the svn repo in sync with my repo (unless i'm allowed to submit a
big f. patch, which i'd rather do when the driver is more mature,
there's too much cruft for now).

--
Jean-Baptiste Note
+33 (0)6 83 03 42 38