[Prism54-devel] Re: Re: Prism54 development update

Sebastien B sebastien.b at swissinfo.org
Wed Jan 12 20:28:49 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 12 January 2005 16:40, Johannes Steingraeber wrote:
> So we seem to be confronted with a great variation of possible
> implementations :-(
>
> But on the other hand examining
>
>   http://yoshiyo.ath.cx/seb/download/NET2280_EEPROM.bin
>
> the only visible (Unicode) text is
>
>   NET2280 in Transfer Mode
>   Netchip Technology, Inc.
>
> I remember that NetChip somewhere mentions a reference design available
> for customers...

I haven't found anything related on the NetChip website. Maybe we should ask
them ? They seem to have actually written that code, at least for my device
(Siemens Gigaset USB Adapter 54) and Feyd's.

> At the moment I do not see different net2280 EEPROM contents
> customised by each vendor, but maybe we should collect some more.

Feyd's device's EEPROM differs only by a few bytes.
Indeed, if more people with USB devices could post EEPROM dumps we could learn
more about that.
The program I've written to dump EEPROMs can be download from
http://yoshiyo.ath.cx/seb/download/net2280dump.tar.bz2
It uses libusb, therefore it is portable to many operating systems.

> For me it looks like the net2280 is always used in the same way
> but we are seeing different firmwares because there is more than one
> way to adapt (or strip down) the ISL firmware to net2280.

Firmwares of PCI devices (without any USB connectivity) are also different
from one device to another.

> BTW there must be something wrong with NET2280_EEPROM.bin, AFAIK 8051
> does start at address 0 but there is no meaningful boot code at that
> offset.

The 8051 doesn't start at address 0, there is a header setting up various
options in the NET2280. Fortunately, everything is explained in the NET2280
datasheet.

Regards,
Sebastien