[Prism54-devel] Open hardware wireless cards

Rogelio Serrano rogelio.serrano at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 06:58:49 UTC 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 15:05:26 -0500, Luis R. Rodriguez
[snipped...]
> I'd also like to add...
>
> For those of you frustrated about our current wireless driver situation
> in open platforms --
>
> I think we probably will have this trouble with most modern hardware for a while
> (graphics cards, wireless driver, etc). A lot of has to do with patent
> infringement issues, "intellectual property" protection, and other
> business-oriented excuses.
>
> What I think we probably will have to do is just work torwards seeing if
> we can come up with our own open wireless hardware. I know there was
> a recent thread on lkml about an open video card -- anyone know where
> that ended up?

Its alive. The design is being finalised. Its an fpga based card.

> If we can't come up with our own project to work on open hardware we can
> also just see if its feasible to purchase hardware companies on the
> verge of going backrupt and buy them out and release the specs/etc (a la
> blender). Can someone do the math here? I'm lazy.

Its about time we do that for wireless cards.  Nobody is offering
cards with open drivers anymore. Ralink offers linux support but there
is a lot of limitations in the drivers.