[Prism54-devel] USB & al

Sebastien B sebastien.b at swissinfo.org
Sat Feb 19 17:56:01 UTC 2005

Hello,

> it works when starting at offset 0 here, Sebastien, i dont quite
> understand, but anyways...

Running the attached source code produces the following output :
$ ./softmac 3886lmac_2.7.0.0.arm
Calling prism_softmac_parse_bra() at offset 0
Calling prism_softmac_parse_bra() at offset 1
Bus error (core dumped)
So you should not call prism_softmac_parse_bra() repeatedly with differents
offsets until it works : some bogus data can crash it, and in the kernel this
is very bad.
Experimentations show that the function doesn't crash because it is called
twice, but really because of the data it finds at offset 1.

> So if anyone with a last-gen usb device could try this...

I'll have a WG111v2 next week (thanks a lot to DG4OAQ !!). I've started a
driver which uses the UMAC library in usermode for easy experimentation. I'm
waiting for the device for testing/debugging :)
If there is anything someone on the list wants me to try, it's OK (including
tinkering with the device's electronics).

> I have doubts the usb version is okay (there are discrepancies between the
> expected behaviour of the driver and what's observed in logs of the
> devices).

What kind of discrepancies ?
That may be because of the 2.7.0 firmware being different from the 2.5.8 we've
seen so far.

> * I've overwritten in ndiswrapper all "LED-packets" with a fixed led
>   packet (the first one, containing mostly zeroes). The driver still
>   works, but no more led flashing. This was expected, but we'd better
>   make sure. Now we're *almost* sure : the real test would be to
>   suppress them altogether, but this asks for too much work :)

Not submitting the URB (and returning success) when you spot a LED control
packet isn't fine ?
I can't really test this for now, I haven't any Wi-Fi network where I'm living
ATM, and just one device.

>   By the way, regarding ndiswrapper, if any of its fine developers are
> listening : all versions above the first ones -- modprobe indicates
> 0.13pre1 here -- do not work with my old WUSB54G driver.

DG4OAQ also reported problems with his D-Link-G122 and ndiswrapper > 0.12.

Regards,
Sebastien