[Prism54-devel] Multi-firmware device drivers

Sebastien B sebastien.b at swissinfo.org
Wed Feb 16 22:21:24 UTC 2005

Hello,
I've investigated on Windows device drivers containing several firmware images
(that of Netgear WG111v2, and driver version 3.0.18.3 of the Siemens Gigaset
USB Adapter 54).
Both these drivers contain two firmwares, with the following build strings :
Version 2.5.8.0 built on Fri May 14 16:19:50 CEST 2004 by inlbuild at tix
Version 2.5.6.0 built on Wed May 5 17:41:12 CEST 2004 by inlbuild at tix
The firmware images are binary identical on the WG111 and the Gigaset.
According to the NDISWrapper logs, only the 2.5.6.0 version is uploaded to my
device (traditional NET2280+ISL3886).
I think that version 2.5.8.0 is for devices containing the new GW3887/ISL3887
chipset. Version 3.0.18.3 of the Gigaset driver contains the string "GW3887",
unlike an older version which only includes the 2.4.6.0 firmware.
Probably, the 2.5.8.0 firmware is for the new "Gigaset USB Stick 54". Its
device driver is not officially available on the Siemens website, but I think
they use the same driver for the "stick" (which, I bet, uses the GW3887) and
the "adapter" (and/or they have linked both drivers against the same UMAC
library from Conexant).
I guess the situation is the same with the WG111v1 (NET2280+ISL3886) and
WG111v2 (GW3887).
So, JB, what you call "second generation devices" are probably just devices
using that new chipset...
If all this seems obscure, I've added some notes on the GW3887 to my website.
Sebastien