[Prism54-devel] XH8196 driver tests ?

Sebastien B sebastien.b at swissinfo.org
Mon Feb 14 11:40:32 UTC 2005

Hello,

> Sebastien B <sebastien.b at swissinfo.org> said :
> > Hello,
> > Has anyone tested the XH8196 driver with a new (ISL3887-based) USB device

> There's still a problem, Sebastien, in this code : though it should,
> theoretically, work, i can't get the lmac to parse correctly the
> firmware sent ! I don't know why, because in userland, this works
> OK...

I copied the exact code from your driver into an usermode program (I just
changed trivial things such as replacement of kmalloc() by malloc()), and it
coredumps in prism_softmac_parse_bra() when attempting to parse the bra at
offset 1. I think this function is unreliable when fed with bogus data so
your loop to guess the position of the bra is a bad idea ; you should parse
directly at offset 20 ; anyway I don't think we can be able for now to use a
different firmware image than the one provided in the driver (I tried several
ones and I was never able to make prism_softmac_parse_bra() return SM_ENONE).

> I've given up on this and now concentrate on understanding the
> protocol

This driver may help us to figure out how to send packets... We have a far
better control over what is sent than using the Windows driver. For now, we
are trying to understand packets about which we don't even know what they
contain, we can only make suppositions. And there is no way to send raw
802.11 data using the Windows driver ; according to the MSDN, wireless
drivers receive 802.3 data from the upper layers and then translate it to
802.11.
With the UMAC library, we could just ask it to send a well-known 802.11 packet
and see how it behaves... Unfortunately, this is for SoftMAC2, I hope it is
not too far from SoftMAC1...
I wish I had an ISL3887 based device, I could write a libusb-based usermode
quickhack (I'm damn sick of kernel panics) which would boot the Prism chipset
and so, and then send predefined 802.11 frames using the UMAC...

> Cool, so you understood the packet meaning :) I'm wondering if the LED
> blinking would not be a side effect of something else, though : blinking
> for the "red led" (on the iogear stick) is present in the driver for my
> WUSB54G device, though it has no red led, and produces not apparent
> effect.

I've looked at the contents of several Windows drivers, they look very similar
and generic. In my opinion, wireless devices manufacturers buy circuits
schematics and the driver from Conexant, add their brand name on it and
resell with minor modifications (USB IDs, LEDs, ...). So the driver may send
packets to control the red LED, even if no one is installed in the device.

> Feyd, Sebastien, I've heard your problems with my doc (which was at the
> beginning only quick notes put there for my own use). I'll try to put
> this in shape in a more logical and understandable way.

Ok, thanks :)
Sebastien