[Prism54-devel] XH8196 driver tests ?

Jean-Baptiste Note jean-baptiste.note at wanadoo.fr
Mon Feb 14 10:15:43 UTC 2005

Dear Sebastien, dear list,

Sebastien B <sebastien.b at swissinfo.org> said :
> Hello,
> Has anyone tested the XH8196 driver with a new (ISL3887-based) USB device ?
> See http://jbnote.free.fr/ and especially
> http://gxaafoot.homelinux.org/cgi-bin/archzoom.cgi/jean-baptiste.note@m4x.org--libre/XH8196--devo--0--patch-8
> to obtain this piece of software.

There's still a problem, Sebastien, in this code : though it should,
theoretically, work, i can't get the lmac to parse correctly the
firmware sent ! I don't know why, because in userland, this works
OK... Maybe there's a problem with 4k stacks, or some subtle differences
when linking with kernel code, i don't know :(

So i can guarantee it won't ever work, even with the required
hardware. I've given up on this and now concentrate on understanding the
protocol; you may have a look at it though, you seem to be better at
these things than i am...

> By the way, I have fixed several bugs in the FreeBSD driver lately, and added
> a LED control function.

Cool, so you understood the packet meaning :) I'm wondering if the LED
blinking would not be a side effect of something else, though : blinking
for the "red led" (on the iogear stick) is present in the driver for my
WUSB54G device, though it has no red led, and produces not apparent
effect.

Feyd, Sebastien, I've heard your problems with my doc (which was at the
beginning only quick notes put there for my own use). I'll try to put
this in shape in a more logical and understandable way.

Also, though this is slow, I now know how to talk to the dongle so that
he sends packets (beacon allocation, and one-time packet sending). The
problem is that

1/ there are pieces missing, as usual,
2/ I must write this down, in words first, then code, for you to share
(spare time is rare ATM... and i enjoy testing much more).
3/ though the device responds what i expect him to, there does not seem
to be anything sent in the air but garbage :(

Additionally, I must once again say that your idea of active testing is
really great, Feyd, and definitively the way to go...

JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Note
+33 (0)6 83 03 42 38