[Prism54-devel] SoftMAC PCI development

Jean-Baptiste Note jean-baptiste.note at wanadoo.fr
Mon Apr 25 09:35:17 UTC 2005

Dear list,

I've started serious PCI development. The results can be found at :

http://jbnote.free.fr/prism54usb

I've splitted the usb code so that usb and pci share a "softmac" common
base.

The modules you need to test the code are :

1/ madwifi stack (wlan.ko) -- to be replaced by the kernel stack at some
point
2/ the islsm (softmac layer) module, common for both pci and usb support
3/ the islsm_usb and/or islsm_pci module

For now the pci code successfully does the mgmt readback. This is some
success, because it means we're actually talking to the hardware.

It locks up the machine hard some point later in time (I guess I'll need
a better understanding of irq/locking in order to see what happens); but
i already had some successfull frequency setting report (with no data
packet received, though).

As far as protocol is concerned, i've implemented basic firmware header
parsing. It'll hopefully allow us to recognize if the provided firmware
is OK (there are now four kinds of them : usb1 (netchip + isl) usb2
(GW3887) pci softmac, pci fullmac (not in the scope of this softmac
driver). It may also give us the lmac queue addresses or other
information; this could mean less hardcoded values in the driver.

JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Note
+33 (0)6 83 03 42 38