[Prism54-devel] Re: Strange problem with wds in prism54

Jean-Baptiste Note jean-baptiste.note at wanadoo.fr
Thu Apr 7 11:58:57 UTC 2005

Hello Sergio, dear list,

Sorry i'm new to WDS, so some things are not quite clear yet. I'll try
to sum up :

>From what i understand, in the driver, you have the main ethX interface,
which is always the interface representing the AP <-> stations wireless
links, and you can spawn other interfaces with iwpriv ethx wdsadd, those
interfaces being WDS links to other APs.

You put all those interfaces into one br0 virtual interface, which
basically tells the kernel : whatever packet you receive from one of the
interfaces in br0, repeat them over to the other interfaces in br0 (this
does the actual bridging, low-level forwarding, where simple interfaces
were only available transport links).

One problem could be that in WDS mode, you're not sure to maintain the
AP<->STA functionnality. From your comment "i still can associate to the
AP, but IP connectivity is lost", I guess that the firmware allows the
card to work with WDS and as an AP for STAs at the same time.

There can be two kinds of problems : problems on the rx path, problems
on the tx path. I'd guess problems on the rx path, and this seems a good
point to start debugging, so let's go !

In the code, an essential part on the rx path seems to be the
wds_find_device(unsigned char *wds_mac, struct wds_priv *wdsp) function
in isl_wds.c, which dispatches the packets received to the correct
net_device instances (one of ethX, or the ones that have been spawned
with wdsadd).

Can you enable WDS debugging (from the code i have at hand, you'll need
to define the DEBUG macro in isl_wds.c, or change the DEBUG calls to
printk), and report the logs you get, so that we know if the WDS address
decoding works properly ?

I you can't / don't know how to do this, can you point me to a precise
tarball that compiles on your machine that i may modify for you to use ?

JB
--
Jean-Baptiste Note
+33 (0)6 83 03 42 38