[Prism54-devel] WG511: Taiwan VS China issue?

Benoit Panizzon panizzon at woody.ch
Fri Sep 24 12:21:53 UTC 2004

Hi Prism Developers.

I posted this problem a while ago on the users mailinglist but nobody was able
to help or answer my question yet.

So I just wanted to know if somebody could confirm this problem.

Apparently NetGear has moved the production of the WG511 Cards from Taiwan to
China this year.
Everything else like the PCI-id of the cards are the same.

The problem is, that the China-WG511 Cards do not seam to be working with the
actual prism54 driver and firmware from the website and the Windows drivers
packages do not seam to contain a separate .arm file anymore.

At least any reports from working Cards I got until today were about 'made in
taiwan' (below the serial number) cards.

Is this a known fact? Did some of you got a WG511 china card working?

If not...
Does somebody know if the china WG511 will get supported somewhen or if there
is a short hack to make it working?

Somebody told me it is an issue of 'soft mac' versus 'full mac' but this issue
does only seam to apply to USB nic's and not to PCCard nics as I was told by
others.

Regards
-Benoit-