[Prism54-devel] Long timeouts while roaming

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at ruslug.rutgers.edu
Wed Oct 20 00:55:20 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 03:36:48PM +0200, Ulrich Hochholdinger wrote:
> Hi,
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 06:47:47PM -0400, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> > This is just how the hardware/firmware behaves. I am still not sure --
> > do you want the card to ASSOC to only one AP or to any available? If you
> > want it to stick to an AP just set the essid to the essid of the AP you
> > wan it to stick with. To make it automatically choose the best link, use
> > `iwconfig eth0 mode Auto`. I auto mode, the hardware/firmware will be in
> > charge of always looking and ASSOC'ing to the best link.
>
> The goal is to take the Accesspoint with the best link. All 60
> Accesspoints have the same essid, so I set a fixed essid, and mode
> managed. So mode auto is different to mode managed? It is not really
> explained in the manpages of wireless_tools only mentioned.
> I will try setting to mode auto...

Yes there is a difference. We use Auto on prism54 to make the
card to join either Ad-hoc or Infrastructure networks with the best link.
If the SSID is set then it will try to find an AP with that SSID with the
best link. If SSID is not set it will try to always just look for any
AP or Ad-hoc network.

Hope this helps,

	Luis

--
GnuPG Key fingerprint = 113F B290 C6D2 0251 4D84  A34A 6ADD 4937 E20A 525E