[Prism54-devel] what do you need to diagnose a problem?

Michael Reid - CSCI/P2003 m6reid@scs.ryerson.ca
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 16:09:08 -0500 (EST)

hi folks,

first off, great work. this driver is very stable, i've only had minor
problems with it.

ok, one of the problems i'm experiencing is this:

sometimes when i leave my laptop on, idling, i come back say 1-2 hrs later
and both lights on my SMC2835W card are on, and the network is down. i
need to pull the card out and re-insert it (basically take down the net
interface, remove the prism54 module and then start over) to get it up
again.

as i am not around when this happens, i don't really know what i'm doing
to cause it. it's not necessarily under load as i've come back with no
downloads going to find the card in this state.

some information to start:

  prism54 driver v1.1
  firmware is isl3890, don't know the exact version at the moment, except
                       i can tell you that i got it before it had to be
                       removed from prism54.org due to the copyright issues.
  thinkpad r31
  celeron 1.13 ghz
  384 mb ram
  gentoo 1.4
  linux 2.6.5-rc1-mm1

i'd like to gather some more information to make this a full
(reproducible) bug report, but i don't really know how to that/what you
need.

is there anything i should be looking for? i've checked my system logs,
there doesn't seem to be anything being logged about the problem.

is this a known problem maybe?

regards,
-mike.