[Prism54-devel] Re: Prism54 wpa update

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Wed Jun 30 01:49:30 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 03:21:01PM -0400, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

> I'll keep my latest wpa work/patch at the following URL:
>
> http://prism54.org/~mcgrof/prism54-wpa.diff

Hmm.. I do not understand the change you did for priv->wpa processing.
There seems to be some kind of misunderstanding on what DOT11_AUTHENABLE
and DOT11_OID_MLMEAUTOLEVEL is set to in various mode. I do not fully
understand what you mean with TKIP vs 802.1x. TKIP is an encryption
algorithm like WEP. IEEE 802.1X is authentication protocol which can be
used with IEEE 802.1X EAPOL-Key frames to distribute WEP keys _or_ with
WPA to generate keying material for WPA 4-Way Handshake that will
generate the data encryption keys.

DOT11_AUTHENABLE should be set to DOT11_AUTH_OS for WPA modes (i.e., not
_SK or _BOTH like you had in some cases). DOT11_AUTH_SK can only be used
with static WEP configuration (i.e., not with WPA or with IEEE 802.1X
when using dynamic WEP key generation). DOT11_AUTH_BOTH is likewise only
reasonable for static WEP configuration since it includes _SK as an
option. DOT11OID_MLMEAUTOLEVEL seems to be required to be
DOT11_MLME_EXTENDED for all cases where WPA IE is used.