[Prism54-devel] USB driver

Jean-Baptiste Note jean-baptiste.note at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jul 26 19:55:17 UTC 2004

Dear list,

Using windows-generated USB logs (from the latest driver for my linksys
wusb54g), I'm slowly trying to understand what the information on the
usb wire means.

First I extracted from the logs a very small firmware of 29468 bytes.
Using this firmware and small changes (i'll send patches as soon as i
clean up what i did, but the changes are really small), i could go a
little further than what the current driver does.

I now need your lights regarding what the information on the wire means.
I've tried to make some sense out of this, but that's hard, and i
thought maybe someone familiar with the data exchanges of the pci device
could help.

Please note that the following documents are very primitive and
unorganized versions...

*During a series of (what i assume to be) readbacks from the device's
memory / configuration space, i get the following information :

http://gxaafoot.homelinux.org/prism54usb/web/usb_protocol_mgmt.html#first_mgmt

which i cannot decode... Any hints (the MAC address is floating around)
?

*As far as the real networking exchanges are concerned, one can see real
802.11 frames incoming on the wire in the logs : 802.11 management
frames, data frames. Unfortunately, they're wrapped by unknown data.
Some examples are found here:
http://gxaafoot.homelinux.org/prism54usb/web/usb_protocol_data.html#idata
(incoming data)
http://gxaafoot.homelinux.org/prism54usb/web/usb_protocol_data.html#odata
(outgoing data)
Again, i'm asking for some help : what may the unkown fields mean ?

This information (or links to it) and the firmware is available from the
wiki :
http://prism54.org/phpwiki/Prism54%20USB%20Devel

Last, could you please tell me if those attempts are worthless, ie, is
there anywhere i can get the "official" specs of the device ?

Thanks,
JB