[Prism54-devel] Just several thoughts & suggestions

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr@hvrlab.org
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 12:33:44 +0100

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 11:54, kaleda wrote:
> Just several thougs on current prism54 driver architecture:
>
> 1. Private ioctls.
> Currently there are 14 private ioctl's used. Total there are only 16
> private ioctls available. If we'll continue this way - soon we'll have
> no private ioctls.

just writing my thought about this, without having investigated the
wireless API more closely on this issue;

it seems to be, that the whole wlan-business in linux could benefit from
some better framework to help minimize code; when I look through stuff
like isl_ioctl.[ch] I see much code that either repetitive (causing me
to be tempted to factorize this away by ugly macros -- causing others to
puke at them due to the unclear control flow) or stuff that I'd assume
to be repetetive among other drivers (like MAC handling, WPA stuff, and
so on, stuff which even might be handled better by some user space
daemon communicating with the driver... just like dhcp is not part of
the kernel driver, but done by some daemon in userspace, or by the
IP-pnp feature in kernel at boot-time)...

of course, a framework that fits everything is usually not realistic...

or maybe I'm overlooking that there's something like what I'm dreaming
of available already?

regards,
--
Herbert Valerio Riedel       /    Phone: (EUROPE) +43-1-58801-18840
Email: hvr@hvrlab.org       /    Finger hvr@gnu.org for GnuPG Public Key