[Prism54-devel] thank you!

Jon Howell jonh@jonh.net
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:01:48 -0800 (PST)

prism54 developers,

A warm thank-you for building an open-source 802.11g driver.

I bought a d-link card a couple days ago, and found that my choices were to
load a windows NDIS binary (seems brittle) or use madwifi (seemed to have
some sketchy IP issues; perhaps they're no worse than prism54's binary
firmware, but I couldn't tell). So I returned it, looked around, found
prism54.org, and selected the Netgear WG511 from your supported cards list.

I run gentoo. I unpacked a 2.6.1 kernel (and spent a couple boot cycles
fixing my config :v), and patched it with your patch. I worked my way
through the readme: wow, it's a very thorough step-by-step that I could use
to ensure I had each thing working before going onto the next thing. VERY
helpful. At one point, I found out that /sbin/hotplug didn't have the
firmware agent; a google search on "gentoo firmware agent" (or something
similar) came across a post showing what was needed to fix that. And now, it
just works.

I really like it when software just works, and that's because you guys put
so much effort into it. I'm also tickled that I can run an 802.11g card; I
was worried for a while that linux support for 11g was just not there.

Thanks! You guys rock.

    --Jon