[Prism54-devel] SMC2802W V2: Changes

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof@ruslug.rutgers.edu
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 15:13:40 -0500

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 10:33:39AM +0200, vda wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Monday 09 February 2004 09:21, Rainer Keuchel wrote:
> > The chip uses a new firmware and a different control block layout.
> > It has only 4 queues and the indexes do no wrap.
> > The driver indexes of the receive queues must not be
> > preloaded. The fragment info structure has grown by
> > a longword, which is usually zero.
> > The pci registers etc did not change.
>
> Wow. You seem to know the stuff.
> Where did you learned it? Do you have some docs
> or one needs to guess and experiment?
>
> I tried to find tech docs about Prism GT and friends.
> Google yields nothing. Well, that can be explained
> if Intersil (or whoever owns this business now)
> did not release it to general public.
>
> But I asked on the forum and on this list and that
> gave zero replies too. Not even a "we don't have it either,
> all that we have right now is contained in the source code
> of the driver".
>
> _Why?_ Why everybody is so silent? :(
>
> > I will try to update the driver. Were shall I send patches?
>
> I think posting them to list and CC'ing to Luis will do

We haven't been given specs by Intersil or anything like that.
The way to get them, when I last tried, was through a local agency
that at that time Intersil had in charge to redistribute them to
properly qualified "candidates". I had applied and they didn't reply to
me. Then when I asked them for an update about 1 month later I
think I was told that they weren't dealing with these documents anymore
(I forget their excuse really).

So as of now, the source *has* been our main source of documenation.

	Luis