[Prism54-devel] Re: [Prism54 on Knoppix?] Re: Kontaktformular [QK]

Klaus Knopper knopper@knopper.net
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 04:17:02 +0100

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 10:56:07PM -0500, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> > Unfortunately, in Germany "no license" means that you are NOT allowed to
> > use it AT ALL. So, I'll have to wait for a more clear statement from the
> > author or originator of these ominous firmware files before I can
> > include them. :-(
>
> I've asked Globespan Virata for a license for us for free redistribution. We'll
> see how that goes. Anyone have any recommended license terms which we'd
> like? Perhaps we can draft it ourselves and suggest it and just have
> their lawyers review it.

I believe that something like:

"This firmware driver may be redistributed [in binary form] freely for
non-commercial as well as commercial use." would be sufficient, I think.
They can add their copyright.

Putting the firmware into OpenSource is not really necessary in my
opinion, if they don't want to. I think the biggest obstacle is that
they may still think (or have been told into thinking by some
proprietary software companies...) that they would have to publish some
kind of company secrets if they allow redistribution of one driver in
GNU/Linux systems, and you will have to convonce them that this is not
the case, they CAN make a binary-only license, but free redistribution
of the binary code (not enduser installations) without prior explicit
permission in each indiviual case would be a MUST, if they want to see
support for their cards in ANY Linux distribution, EVER.

Regards
-Klaus Knopper