[Prism54-devel] Kernel patch & Firmware loading

Marcel Holtmann marcel@holtmann.org
Wed, 04 Feb 2004 09:37:27 +0100

Hi Margit,

> Ah, I misunderstood. Anyway, in the latest CVS, it's done in
> the Config.in. This has the advantage that both 2.4 and 2.6
> set CONFIG_FW_LOADER. This enables us to check at
> compile time (isl_38xx) that FW is activated in the kernel.
> (See latest CVS). This covers the case of the tarball
> (out-of-kernel) build if somebody tries to build against a kernel
> that has a non-activated (or non-existent) FW loader.

I don't see any advantage of the

	define_tristate CONFIG_FW_LOADER $CONFIG_PRISM54

in the 2.4 patch, because everywhere in the kernel this case is handled
with a Makefile.lib. However if you plan to submit the driver for kernel
inclusion this have to go away.

I am also not sure that we really have to depend on HOTPLUG in the case
of 2.6. Someone should test if the Kbuild automaticly selects HOTPLUG if
we select FW_LOADER.

Regards

Marcel