[Prism54-devel] Linux support for WUSB54G

Jan Kiszka jan.kiszka at web.de
Wed Aug 11 19:16:54 UTC 2004

Hi,

it seems that it's time to dare an announcement:

The Linksys WUSB54G (a Prism54-based 802.11b/g USB WLAN dongle) can now
be used with Linux!

Ndiswrapper has gained basic USB support and is now able to load the
original Windows driver of that device. To give it a try, just go and
get the latest cvs of ndiswrapper. The WUSB54G driver is available on
the Linksys homepage.

Not working so far:
 o kernels before 2.6.5
 o suspend/resume

Untested:
 o WEP/WPA (should work, but I don't had the time or hardware yet)
 o WUSB54G-compatible devices (Netgear WG121 etc.)
 o any other USB WLAN dongle not working with Linux so far...

Why am I sending this mail to the Prism54 list, too? I don't want to
discourage you to continue your great work, also on USB! Actually, I'm
looking forward to running my WUSB54G in master mode soon, something
that Windows drivers do not provide ;). I would rather suggest to use
ndiswrapper now for further analysis how things may work. You can now
explicitely trigger, e.g., some configuration requests and watch to USB
packets being exchanged. Might be useful, I think.

At this chance, thanks to the ndiswrapper developers for providing a
great foundation. Thanks also to Uli Luckas for giving me the hints for
the remaining issues and persuading me that his patches were on the
right path.

Jan