[Prism54-devel] Re: [Prism54-users] Interrupt Polling

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at ruslug.rutgers.edu
Wed Aug 11 01:20:17 UTC 2004

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 11:44:06AM +0800, Rodel Miguel wrote:
> Hi!
>
>     I am trying to port the driver on a uClinux/ARM7 platform.  My
> device can't handle "too much interrupts", i.e., the network application
> hangs on high data rates.  The prism54 module displays kernel bug at
> isl38xx:401!  I would like to re-design the driver for my platform.  I
> am currently using March 18 2004 version of the driver for 2.4 kernels.
> I tried to "poll" the reg & ISL38XX_INT_IDENT_UPDATE condition of the
> islpci_interrupt interrupt handler of islpci_dev.c, using a fixed count
> (500) and re-reading the ISL38XX_INT_IDENT_REG and check if the register
> is updated.  I am still having the same interrupt handling problem.
> Could somebody help me to create a polling function for the prism54
> driver to minimize calls to the interrupt handler routine?  Or should I
> register the interrupt on a polling timer (fast_poll_add - from
> asm/fast_timer.h) instead of using the interrupt request? Are there
> groups porting the driver on MMU-less devices?  Could someone tell me if
> they already did some optimization codes for the driver on embedded
> linux systems?

Rodel,

your questions are invloved and they should be addressed in a rather
more general form to kernel mailing list / netdev mailing lists.

As for advancing the prism54 driver for uClinux there are definitely a
lot of people interested. Here is what I suggest/propose:

Why not start a prism54 tree for uClinux. If you're up for it you can
lead the tree. I can give you CVS access and it'll be officially part of
the prism54 project. I'm sure then people would come together and work
on it. The problem right now is people are working on it from different
companies and they have no way to mingle. I started a forum for it on
prism54.org/forums. Might want to check that out too.

Let me know what you think.

Also please only use prism54-devel list for devel purposes.

	Luis

--
GnuPG Key fingerprint = 113F B290 C6D2 0251 4D84  A34A 6ADD 4937 E20A 525E