[Prism54-devel] XG-701 / Medion USB Device

Heiko Panther heiko.panther@web.de
Sat, 03 Apr 2004 21:25:17 +0200

I've started analyzing the device. Here's what I found.

The device was apparently designed by this company:
http://www.fmanetworks.com/products/xg701a.html

I disassmbled and took photos. You can find the photos at
homepage.mac.com/hpanther/XG-701.tbz

The PCB has 2 big chips, one on each side. There is a metal plate about
0.9cm * 16.cm, which is an antenna. Next to it, there's an antenna jack.
There is a 2x2 cm shielded area on both sides, which I did not look
into, because it's soldered to the PCB.

Main Chip 1 reads

NetChip
NET2280
REV1A
0343RKA86

It is a USB to PCI bridge with an 8051 and 8K ROM. See
http://www.netchip.com/products/2280.htm
The bridge is probably loaded with a custom firmware over USB.

Main Chip 2 reads

ISL
38801K
M0323C092

This is a Prism GT (ISL3880).
http://www.conexant.com/products/entry.jsp?id=885

Is this device similar to any device which is being worked on currently? Is the bridge used in any device which is being worked on?

Heiko