[Prism54-devel] Implementing the reading of MIB dot11CountersTable attributes

Tsung Chwen Woo tw0016@bristol.ac.uk
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:49:27 -0000

Dear All,

I'm currently working on a project to extract attributes of the
dot11CountersTable MIB from the Prism card.
I'm quite a newbie at this so bear with me!

For the extraction of the attributes (like Transmitted_Fragment_Count,
ACK_Failure_Count, FCS_Error_Count) I am looking into the possibility of
modifying isl_ioctl.c and adding functions as shown below:

For example, to get RTS Success Count,

---isl_ioctl.c-----------------------------------------------
int
prism54_get_RTS_Success_Count(struct net_device *ndev, struct
iw_request_info *info,
     struct iwreq *wrq, char *extra)
{
 MGT_GET_REQUEST_U32(ndev->priv, DOT11_OID_RTSSUCCESSFUL, (u32 *) extra);

 return 0;
}

---isl_ioctl.h----------------------------------------------
>> Add function prototype and definition
>> Add lines to two arrays - prism54_private_args[],
prism54_private_handler[]

I got DOT11_OID_RTSSUCCESSFUL from the whole list of definitions in
bloboid.h.

Is this workable? Will I then be able to retrieve the counter value? (using
iwpriv?) Does this mean that I wouldn't have to know how the firmware
actually implements the counter, i would just need to know those addresses
defined in bloboid.h?
On a related issue, does the prism chipset actually support the counters
table?

Sorry if i sound to long-winded, or naive on things!! This is my first dip
into modifying drivers!

Thanks!

Tsung Chwen, Woo
University of Bristol