[Prism54-devel] Bugs forum.

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr@hvrlab.org
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 20:57:18 +0100

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 12:12:11PM +0100, Lars E. Pettersson wrote:
> In the bugs forum mcgrof writes:
> > I recently made the driver (latest snapshot) do this but we may go back
> > to not uploading the firmware at plug (hotplug) time.
>
> I vote for uploading the firmware at hotplug time, preferably before the
> setup of the network, if this is at all possible (I am a bit uncertain at
> this.)

assume you have statically compiled your driver into the kernel, then
it won't work anyway;

> I am running Fedora Core 1 and the way things happen there at the moment
> are:

> 1. pci.agent
> 2. net.agent
> 3. firmware.agent

> At the net.agent hotplug event ifup is called. In RedHat/Fedora this also
> triggers the ifup-wireless script, that uses the iwconfig command to set
> the wireless parameters. As the firmware is not yet uploaded, these have
> no effect.

the firmware should be uploaded by the time 'ifconfig up' returns;
the issue may be, that the open-routine doesn't wait until everythings up...
that's actually a bug in the driver;

I just didn't get to fix this yet, sorry

should the hotplug framework call iwconfig before ifconfig up, then
the hotplug framework is doing the wrong thing, and I would stronly
oppose supporting this broken behaviour;

> The network is setup, but not the card. To get it all going I
> have to manually issue a "ifup eth1", it would be nice if this could
> happen automatically.

agree, and it'll be fixed

> As I am very uncertain on how these things work, I am not certain that it
> is possible to trigger events as; pci.agent, firmware.agent, and finally
> net.agent. I think this would solve my issue, but it may perhaps also
> create side effects.

> Any comments?

well, loading the firmware at probe time is IMO _not_ the right thing;
it'd be just an ugly workaround, masking the real problem with the driver;

regards,
--
Herbert Valerio Riedel       /    Phone: (EUROPE) +43-1-58801-18840
Email: hvr@hvrlab.org       /    Finger hvr@gnu.org for GnuPG Public Key