[Prism54-devel] initialisation behavior

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr@hvrlab.org
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 11:11:38 +0100

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 10:25:01AM +0100, Bernhard Seibold wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Great work, folks. The driver now works for me. But one thing really
> annoying is the way you do the initialisation. I wondered for about a
> week why the card didn't do any initialisation and no one complained
> about it, until i found out, that i first have to bring up the
> interface.
> Sorry, but in my opinion thats really stupid, and it's not the default
> behaviour. When establishing a wlan connection, you usually modprobe the
> driver (or hotplug modprobes it) then you (or your scripts) do a iwlist
> to see what access points are around, then pick one, and then do a dhcp
> request. Now i have to patch all network scripts to first bring up the
> interface.

> So i hope you reconsider that issue and make the driver even better.

consider this a limitation of the prism54 hardware design in
combination with the linux kernel;

the main problem is, that we need the firmware image in order to
initialize the hardware; also there's a powermanagament issue here: we
don't want to powerup the adapter in vain; as well as we want the
device to be without power when the device is marked down;

regards,
--
Herbert Valerio Riedel       /    Phone: (EUROPE) +43-1-58801-18840
Email: hvr@hvrlab.org       /    Finger hvr@gnu.org for GnuPG Public Key