[Prism54-devel] Re: [Prism54-users] Master/Monitor

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof@ruslug.rutgers.edu
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:57:12 -0500 (EST)

Hello Herald,

<-- Mcgrof says Master mode is boRken -->

> Is this still supposed to be true?

Yes. My current tree has some changes to the current cvs snapshot and I
haven't yet integrated it due to that I haven't yet nailed some last
details to get Master mode working 100%.

My tree does:

1. migrate init_modes to Linux Wiresless modes
2. adds a function helper which does the mapping of Linux wireless modes
to correct firmware setup/modes
3. for prism54_mib_init, it correctly sets things in the right order,
keeping in mind all possible modes.

I've been trying to finalize my changes by completing master mode but am
still dealing with some final details. I just don't want to commit before
making sure things are working A-OK. For now, I'll post a URL to my tree
later or perhaps start another cvs branch but there is one change that
you can do to the current cvs snapshot to *sort of* get Master mode working:

Disable Sleep interrupts. You can do that by modifying around line 209 on
isl_38xx.c:

        reg = (ISL38XX_INT_IDENT_INIT | ISL38XX_INT_IDENT_UPDATE |
               ISL38XX_INT_IDENT_SLEEP | ISL38XX_INT_IDENT_WAKEUP);

to:

        reg = (ISL38XX_INT_IDENT_INIT | ISL38XX_INT_IDENT_UPDATE |
              ISL38XX_INT_IDENT_WAKEUP);

---

The reason this will do the trick is that it seems that the device is
going to sleep mode and we're not able to bring it back up and that way
when a `iwconfig eth1 mode Master` is called, the device will be in sleep
state and all the MGT_SET's from prism54_set_mode will fail (bececause of
sleep state). It seems like we're not handling sleep/awake right. I've
gone through the entire isl_38xx.c cvs history and could not find anything
done completely wrong/typos. Perhaps the bug is elsewhere.

Also note that there is an old commented reg = before the new one which
includes the other interrupts. Our cvs history shows the new reg
initialization was set since the file's version 1.1.

My code currently seems to get Master mode working but according to
iwevents from the client, it seems all link associations are being
rejected by the Access Point.

So currently left on my todo list to get Master mode working is:

1. Find out why the device is going into an unrecoverable zombie sleep
state / fix
2. Find out why the link associations are being rejected

> If yes, what is the particular issue?  Maybe I'd find some time and dig
> into it.

Feel free to help out. Please join our irc channel, #prism54-devel as most
of us devels are there.

	Luis